The NEA Foundation funds and supports educator-driven solutions to improve student performance. Through our work, we've learned that the best teaching ideas come from our greatest assets, educators. Teachers have great ideas to help their students learn more, but often lack the resources they need to bring these ideas to life. Last year, through our partnership with DonorsChoose.org, we matched public donations to support 1,500 NEA member requests for classroom materials, reaching 120,000 public school students. This year, with your help, we hope to reach even more.
Our "Double Your Impact" match offer is now closed. Thank you for your participation, and especially to all of the public donors that gave to support excellent teaching and learning across the nation.
Congratulations to all of the classrooms that had their projects funded!
What is DonorsChoose.org?
DonorsChoose.org is an online charity that connects public school teachers in need of classroom materials and other learning needs to corporations, foundations, and everyday people who can help them. Only due to a powerful partnership between the NEA Foundation and DonorsChoose.org are we able to make this special offer available to NEA Members.
How Does it Work?
- Post a project request for up to $500 for classroom materials.
- Within two weeks your project will be added to the NEA Foundation's match offer — making it appear as half-funded and incentivizing donors to support your classroom.
- Supporters of public education browse requests and make donations.
- The NEA Foundation matches the money raised, up to $250 per request.
*Funding is only applied to projects if citizens (donors) fund the other 50% of your project's cost.
What Do I Need to Do?
Have questions? Find help.
- If you are a NEA Member but new to DonorsChoose.org, you will need to register on DonorsChoose.org. To receive matching funds, you must select "NEA" under "Update Affiliations" in your teacher account under "My School Info & Affiliations." Keep in mind your project must cost less than a total of $500 to be eligible.
- If you are a NEA Member and already registered as a teacher on DonorsChoose.org, log in to your account and post a project today.
- I'm not either, but I want to help public educators! Find other educators' classroom needs and make a donation.
Helpful Tips to Increase Funding for Your Project
- View this tutorial about becoming a DonorsChoose.org teacher and posting projects.
- Keep project costs low. Lower-cost projects have a greater chance of being funded.
- Take advantage of your teacher page to encourage friends and family to support of your project. (You can find the link by logging into your DonorsChoose.org teacher account.)
- Share your project on Facebook and other social media to gain support of family and friends!
- Lessons Learned: Grantee Jenna Hixson says her students can’t just watch a movie anymore
- Grantee wins Kindle Fire for “flipping” students’ world
- Grantee wins Kindle Fire for anti-bullying video
- Lessons Learned: Grantee Leslie Chekin shakes up Shakespeare for English Language Learners
- Lessons Learned: Grantee Susan Anglada Bartley challenges students to enroll in AP courses— and succeed