Educators frequently need outside resources to engage in meaningful professional development due to limited district funding. Through our Learning & Leadership grants, we support the professional development of NEA members by providing grants to:
- Individuals to participate in high-quality professional development like summer institutes, conferences, seminars, travel abroad programs, or action research
- Groups to fund collegial study, including study groups, action research, lesson plan development, or mentoring experiences for faculty or staff.
December 1, 2022 - February 1, 2022
“Through the generous support of the NEA Foundation Learning and Leading Grant, I attended the Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI) qualifying certification seminar. This inventory helps us understand the impact our work has on student learning and development.”
Learning & Leadership grants will fund projects between $1,500 and $5,000. Grants fund activities for 12 months from the date of the award.
Applicants must be teachers, education support professionals, or specialized instructional support personnel and must be current NEA members. Current NEA Foundation grantees are ineligible for this funding opportunity. A successful proposal will also make an individual ineligible for other NEA Foundation funding opportunities, until the grant is successfully completed and closed out.
*Education support professionals (ESPs) are defined as: paraeducators, school bus drivers or other transportation staff, custodial and maintenance staff food services staff, school nurses, health aides and other health and student services staff clerical staff, security staff, skilled trades staff, and technical services staff.
*Specialized instructional support personnel (SISP) include professionals such as school counselors, psychologists, social workers, occupational therapists, library media specialists, speech pathologists and others.
Who can apply?
Grants are available to current members of the National Education Association who are educators in public schools or public institutions of higher education. We especially encourage education support professionals* to apply.
* Education support professionals are defined as: para-educators, school bus drivers, maintenance and custodial staff, food services staff, school nurses and student services workers, clerical and office assistants, school security officers, and technicians.
Who cannot apply?
Unfortunately, the following groups may not apply as either the lead or partner:
- Educators who are not members of the National Education Association
- Employees, members of the board of directors, and immediate family members of the staff and board of the NEA Foundation
- Employees of the National Education Association
How can grant funds be used?
Grant funds can be used for travel, room, meals, registration fees, materials, etc. for individual grants. For group grants, funds can be used for educator stipends, substitute fees, materials, travel, meals, etc.
Grant funds cannot be used to pay indirect costs, grant administration fees, salaries, or lobbying or religious purposes.
Winter 2022 Application Period: December 1, 2021 - February 1, 2022
Notifications: April 1, 2022
Spring 2022 Application Period: March 1, 2022 - May 1, 2022
Notifications: July 1, 2022
Summer 2022 Application Period: June 15, 2022 - September 15, 2022
Notifications: November 15, 2022
Ready to Apply?
Click here to start your application today.